Monday, March 29, 2010

Girl With Half A Brain


During the Today Show’s segment on Health they featured a young girl, named Cameron Mott, who had half of her brain removed. For three years Cameron Mott experienced violent seizures that continued throughout the day and endangered her life. Her seizures started when she was only three years old. Mott was having up to ten or more seizures a day. Her parents took her to numerous doctors who conducted many examinations. Meanwhile Cameron’s cognitive functions were deteriorating and she was losing the ability to speak. Mott was finally diagnosed with Rasmussen’s syndrome, a condition that causes the destruction of one side of the brain. Doctors said that the solution is hemispherectomy, which means the removal of half of the brain. Cameron’s parents brought her to Johns Hopkins University Medical Center in Baltimore, where neurosurgeon Dr. George Jallo led a team that carefully removed the right side of Cameron’s brain. When Cameron woke up her left side of her body was completely paralyzed. She went through immediate and intense therapy. Cameron exceed expectations and walked out four weeks later. Her doctors said that she is now able to walk, run, and do well in school.

I chose this media report because it relates to the topics in Chapter 2 very well. In Chapter 2 the book discusses all the functions of the brain and the nervous system. Cameron’s seizures were cured by the removal of the right side of her brain. Roger Sperry’s split brain research helps to demonstrate the specializations of both the left and right hemispheres of the brain. Table 2.2 in our books shows some of the specializations found. Both hemispheres of the brain have many functions and help people with speech, recognition, and movement. The book also discusses Michelle M., “who in her case neuroscientists thought that her right hemisphere was able to learn what would normally be left hemisphere tasks through Michelle’s own actions”. Michelle’s case relates very well with Cameron’s case; the difference in the two being the opposite side of the brain.

4 comments:

  1. I watched this on the today show. It makes me think of my mom who also has epilepsy and had surgery on her brain. I see how you can connect this to chapter 2.I am surprised how well she did after her surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is an amazing story. I hate that I missed it on the Todays Show. It seems impossible to live with out half of your brain. You related this story very well to chapter two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing that she was able to regain strength and be able to walk again after being paralyzed. Seizures are a scary thing. I know because I used to have seizures when I was younger. I had to take medicine for several years, but now I no longer have seizures thank the lord. It is really amazing to be able to live half a brain and still be able to function close to normal. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most people would see this story as a miracle in action but, as you have pointed out through your research in chapter two it is scientifically explained how this "miracle" can occur. I don't know if this happens to everybody but, for me even though it can be explained, I still find this scenario leaves me dumbfounded and amazed!

    Jacques.

    ReplyDelete